Have you ever parked your car somewhere, only to come back to it later to find it was struck while you were gone? All too often, this happens and there’s no note left on your windshield with information for contacting the person responsible.

So, if your parked car is hit, what are your car insurance options at this point?

We’re going to get to that shortly, but first, let’s talk about what to do if you come back to your parked vehicle to find it’s been hit.

What should I do if my parked vehicle is hit?

The first thing you should do is call the police and report the damage. A documented police report may be necessary if you intend to make an insurance claim for the damage.

While you wait for the police to arrive, you should also document the damage for yourself. This includes taking pictures, writing down any important information, and talking to eye-witnesses if there were any.

Finally, you’ll want to contact your insurance company to find out if the incident will be covered.

When does insurance cover damage to parked cars?

If the driver who struck your parked car took off without leaving any information, this is considered a hit-and-run.

With hit-and-run accidents, your best hope of having insurance coverage for the damage is if you have collision insurance or underinsured motorist coverage on your policy.

What is collision insurance?

Collision insurance is an optional (unless you lease or finance your vehicle and the lender requires it) type of car insurance and it can cover hit-and-run damage in many cases.

It gives drivers a form of no-fault coverage. That means, whether they are or another driver is at-fault for an accident, the coverage can still apply.

Collision coverage can apply to different types of collisions, including single-vehicle accidents (like rollovers), multi-vehicle collisions, crashing into a ditch or pot-hole, or colliding with a stationary object like a fence.

What is underinsured motorist coverage?

Underinsured or uninsured coverage can be used to cover the damage from a hit-and-run, as well as when the driver responsible for a collision has no insurance or not enough.

Some states require their drivers purchase uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, but it is optional in Utah. However, if you do decide to add it to your policy, it’s required by law to have at least $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.

Without collision insurance and/or underinsured motorist coverage, the chances of car insurance covering damage to your parked car from another vehicle is not very likely.

If you’d like to learn more about your best options for insuring your vehicle from hit-and-runs as well as many other events, give ASA Insurance a call today!