If you’ve ever come home to water damage caused by leaky appliances, you know just what a headache the cleanup and repair process is. Whether it’s a slow drip of water or a steady stream, both can cause extreme damage in a short amount of time.
Luckily, there are plenty of things you can do to prevent leaky appliances and their aftermath in the first place!
- Check Your Soap: Different washing machines and dishwashers come with different instructions for what kind of soap you should be using. If you’re using the wrong soap, it can cause excessive sudsing which can easily find its way out of your appliances and damage your home.
- Balance: Did you know something as simple as an appliance being off-kilter can cause it to leak? Make sure your appliances are on solid ground and use a level to ensure they’re evenly placed.
- Upgrades: Older appliances are more likely to leak. If your appliances are past their prime, replacing them before they start malfunctioning can save you a lot of trouble down the road. If you don’t want to update the entire machine, you can also consider replacing plastic tubing with stainless steel tubes wherever possible. This is a more sturdy option that’s less likely to crack or deteriorate.
- Regular Inspection: Keeping a close eye on your appliances will help you see telltale signs of damage or deterioration that might lead to leaks. Some things to look for include cracks or holes in tubing, debris build-up (especially in water softeners and dishwashers), loose fittings, and blistered hoses.
- Suggested Maintenance: Appliances almost always come with suggested maintenance instructions, and following them is a critical factor for preventing leaks. For example, most dishwasher hoses need to be replaced every three years, but homeowners often don’t know this until it’s too late. Similarly, your water heater should be inspected at least every five years.
Another way to protect yourself from the damage of leaky appliances is having an excellent home insurance policy in place. Contact ASA Insurance today to find the right plan for you!