We’re committed to providing our clients with everything they want and need to know about car insurance in Salt Lake City. And for today’s post, that just so happens to be learner permits and car insurance.

Getting a learner permit in Utah

Before we get to insurance considerations with a learner permit, let’s discuss some of the laws in Utah.

The website for the Utah Department of Public Safety provides plenty of useful information on this topic.

In Utah, you must be at least 15 years old to obtain a learner permit. If you get your permit before you’re 17, you must hold your learner permit for six (6) months before being able to apply for a Utah driver license. But if you turn 18 during the holding period, you can apply for your driver license when you turn 18.

What about learner permits issued in other states?

Good question! The website also explains, “Learner permits issued from a state other than Utah that are equivalent to the Utah learner permit can be used to meet the six (6) month learner permit holding requirement.”

Now, onto insurance considerations.

How to add a newly permitted teen to your insurance policy

Once your teen has their learner permit, it’s time to give your insurance company a call before you let them operate your vehicle. In many cases, your coverage will automatically extend to your child, but it’s important to make sure first! If there are any gaps in your coverage, you risk paying substantial costs out of pocket in the event of an accident or another event.

Even if your policy does extend to your newly permitted teen, it’s a good time to review your coverage. You and your policy could be liable for any damages if your child is in an accident. Do you have enough coverage in place?

To help make sure you have the best kind of coverage and enough of it in place, give ASA Insurance a call today. When it comes to car insurance in Salt Lake City and all of your other insurance needs, we’re the go-to choice!